Thursday, August 5, 2010

¡Viva España!


Being in Spain for the last six weeks has been one of the most rewarding experiences that I have ever had. I have to admit, I was a little nervous when I first came here; what if I didn't like my family or they didn't like me? What if I hated the food, the culture, and just didn't fit in? As it turned out, I absolutely adored my host mom, loved the food, everything about the culture, and all the people in the program!

There were a few major cultural points that thoroughly impressed me. First off was the World Cup. I think I can speak for everyone in saying that was one of the most entertaining experiences we had while here. We definitely chose the right time to study abroad in Spain. It floored me how passionate and how much the entire country came together as a whole to support their team. In Teresa's class, we discussed how even though Catalonia and Pais Vasco are autonomous regions, all of their papers and news programs were just as excited about the World Cup victory as the rest of Spain. Watching the game at Corte Ingles was an experience as well. I had so much fun throughout the entire Cup.

Secondly, although it took a little bit of getting used to, I have grown accustomed and actually enjoy the time/quantity they eat in Spain. Although, one thing that bothered me was that I always felt obligated to eat. My madre is one of the nicest people, but she always insisted that I ate more. After a while, it got kind of old. My favorite dishes were: Spanish tortilla, croquetas, all of the salads she made me. Sometimes there was a little too much fried food, but all around I really enjoyed my food experience.

I took three trips, one to Portugal, one to Toledo, and one to Granada/Sevilla. My favorite was Granada/Sevilla. I had been to both already, but it was very fun to be able to experience it with my friends and enjoy the night life.

Overall, my experience in Spain was amazing. I'm traveling for two weeks after, which will be an adventure. I loved Salamanca and my entire time here. I look forward to the next time I return.

1 comment:

  1. Anna, the lessons you take from here will stay with you for a lifetime. One skill you have has served you well: being open to new things. Keep exploring - here, back home, in A2, wherever you may find yourself. The desire to try new things will continue to provide you with even more learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete