Sunday, August 8, 2010

Spanish Culture

As I sit in my hotel in Málaga, I honestly cannot believe that 6 weeks has already gone by and my time in Salamanca is complete. I remember being so nervous about the trip, and now that I look back, it was definitely an experience of a lifetime. I enjoyed getting to know everyone on the trip, getting used to living with two very old women, and learning about the culture of Spain. There were a lot of things about Spanish culture that took some getting used to. However, after getting over the shock of being in a new country, and really not knowing anyone, I have come to thoroughly appreciate and enjoy the culture of Spain.
One aspect of Spanish culture that excited me the most was the idea of Rebajas. I definitely love shopping, and to be in Spain during a time where almost every store has sales was so much fun. Rebajas happens two times a year. We were so lucky to be in Spain during one of these times. I definitely enjoyed discovering new stores, and also noticing the differences and similarities between stores in the United States and stores in Spain.
Another aspect of Spanish culture that I enjoyed was the extent of outdoor seating at restaurants. My family is very big on going out to eat. We also love to be outside and enjoy the weather, especially in the summer. In Michigan, it's definitely important to take advantage of good weather. Many times, we will pick a restaurant specifically because it has outdoor seating, since a lot of restaurants do not. I really enjoyed the fact that almost all restaurants in Spain have outdoor seating. I enjoyed being able to go to a bar, share some tapas with a friend and socialize.
The third aspect of Spanish culture that impressed me was how active the older generation is. During any given time of the day, there would be an older couple sitting on a bench or walking around on the streets. It could be midnight and there would still be numerous older people out and about. It seems to me that older people in the United States do not leave the house as often as they do in Spain. I definitely think that it benefits society to have an active older generation.
Overall, I will never forget my trip to Spain. Although it was not always easy, I learned to enjoy the culture and differences between Spain and the United States. I learned a lot about adjusting to difficult and different circumstances. I will carry this knowledge with me for the rest of my life and use the strategies I have developed to enjoy diversity. I will definitely miss Spain, and hope that I can someday return.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I agree 100%. It is so nice to see people in their 70s & 80s moving about the city on a daily basis in Spain. It is quite different from our country and we have much to learn from a society that encourages and facilitates such interactions between the generations.

    ReplyDelete