Friday, August 6, 2010

¡Te amo España!

I don’t even know where to begin. This trip has been so eventful, I can’t believe it’s coming to an end. It was the first time I was really away from home and on my own and although the idea of living in Spain was exciting, it was so nerve-wracking to think that I was traveling across the world to come live with a stranger for 6 weeks! I knew study abroad programs are “life-changing” and a “must-do”, but in what way would it be “life-changing”? Would I end up having a terrible time in Spain? And if that were the case, then what? On top of that, I heard that meat is basically all they eat here (which is true) and since I’m a picky eater, I had to ready myself for a rough half of a semester. Finally, once I met my señora at the train station and was settled in, I stopped scaring myself. I immediately felt comfortable here and in an unexpected way, felt at “home.”
I’ve loved my time here in Salamanca and all the new things I’ve discovered and experienced. I’m glad I was in the food group for our practicum because we were able to visit a variety of factories such as cheese, wine, and ham. The processes of making each of these foods were incredibly interesting and one of a kind. It was perfect to learn about the making of these foods in a country that relishes them. I’m also very happy I took advantage of the weekends we had here and traveled, which I absolutely love doing. During the short time we had in Spain, I was able to go to San Sebastian, Valencia, Toledo, Ibiza, and Madrid (thanks to la tarjeta de mis padres!). Each place had something unique to offer and I was able to learn something different. Traveling definitely made time fly by but it made my stay more and more memorable. It was the best excuse to continue trying more Spanish foods that are authentic to each region such as la paella in Valencia (TWO THUMBS UP!).
The food here definitely was not as bad as I was expecting it to be. My señora made the best meals and was sweet enough to cook only what I liked. I didn’t know what I was eating half of the time, but that allowed me to try dishes that I probably never would have eaten elsewhere. Although it was a struggle to eat the amount of food my señora gave me, I still managed to try something new every time I went out. My favorite here has to be the churros con chocolate in Valor and el café frío in el reloj…not sure how I’ll satisfy my cravings back home.
It’s actually strange to say I’ve been studying in Spain these past few weeks because it still really hasn’t hit me. Although the culture, language, and surroundings were completely different, I felt as though Spain was not far from home. I loved wandering around and exploring places—new shops, restaurants, parks, and cafes. I’ve learned so much about the lifestyle, customs, and people here. I certainly plan to return to Spain in the future but until then…¡Hasta la vista España!

~Asha

No comments:

Post a Comment