Thursday, August 5, 2010

Soy de la roja!


Besides vacationing in Mexico at all-inclusive resorts, Salamanca has been my first trip outside of the United States where I've had the opportunity to learn about another country's culture, language and history. Therefore, even though I had hit a couple bumps in my travels to Salamanca at the beginning of the program, this truly has been an extremely influential, amazing and life changing experience for me.

I have greatly enjoyed my Senora, Pepi, who Monday-Friday babysat her 8 month old grandson (named Jesus and is absolutely adorable) and also had her daughter and son-in-law over for lunch each day. Lunch always consisted of at least three courses and her paella was definitely my favorite meal. Her family is extremely nice. Pepi is a history buff, so it was interesting to hear her perspective after I would come home after class and talk with her about all the new and interesting events I had learned about. I loved spending time with them and will greatly miss our time together when I leave Spain.

Three experiences that I found extremely interesting about the culture in Spain are as follows.

First, in early July, a group of friends and I got tickets and attended a Flamenco dancing show. Before arriving in Spain, I had heard of Flamenco, however after I went and saw the live performance, I now have gained a whole new perspective. I've learned there are many different variations of Flamenco and that it is most popular in Andalucia. The show we saw in Palacio del Congresos in Salamanca, had four female dancers in semi-formal dresses, one male guitarist, one male drummer and a male singer. Historically, originating from the gypsy culture, the flamenco songs have been the musical outlet of the poor and oppressed. I had not known about the style of history of Flamenco, prior to this performance, so listening to this type of music and watching the various dances were a completely new, but very enjoyable learning experience for me.


Secondly, the meal schedules and hours of siesta in Spain are very intriguing and completely different from the United States. From the hours of 1:30 to 4:30, most all shops are closed down for the employees to go home to their families in order to eat lunch and to take a siesta. Then the shopping and grocery stores will stay open until about 8:30 p.m. and most restaurants will stay open much later because Spaniards do not normally eat dinner until around 11 at night. At first, especially with class starting at 9:30 in the morning, I found it extremely difficult to adjust to the schedule, but once I discovered CarreFour cookies, my hunger has been able to hold out between meals. :)















Finally, as Campeones del Mundo, Spain has truly amazed me with their patriotic and united support for the country's soccer team. Growing up, I never played soccer nor really enjoyed the sport, however during my time spent in Spain I've experienced history being made (well, not completely since we were stranded on the side of the highway in Portugal for the final game) and have gained a new understanding and appreciation for soccer. Watching the games on the big screen at Corte Ingles and seeing the excitement and absolute chaos of the town after each victory was definitely a once in a lifetime experience that I feel so lucky to have been a part of. Also, with our Cursos history teacher, a group of us got to go play a game of pick-up soccer at the University fields across the river, and I scored a goal!

All in all, my first trip to Europe has been a success and already I am thinking about when my next trip back to Spain could be. During my stay, I've visited Andalusia, San Sebastian, Toledo, Segovia, Portugal, Madrid and Salamanca, of course, but I never got to get over to see the Mediterranean. Therefore, hopefully on my next trip I can stay in Barcelona and travel down to Valencia too.

Hasta Luegoooooo!

2 comments:

  1. Kirsten, music, culture, current events - you have lived a very one unforgettable summer! I am sorry those of you on the Portugal bus missed out on the final. At least you did get to see and experience it all in the games leading up to the final.

    Returning to Spain? You have to. There is so much to see, to do, to eat! UM has quite a few options for you to do so. Think of it this way: if one summer was this educational, what would a semester or an academic year be like? Let me know if you have questions and enjoy the rest of your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost forgot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKQobOUH8Dc

    ReplyDelete