Thursday, August 5, 2010

Este Verano en España

I'm having a hard time believing that our time in Salamanca has come to end. I have had so many cool and rewarding experiences this summer. Whether it be inside or outside of the classroom, I have learned a great deal of things over these past six weeks. In particular, the culture here in Spain is absolutely phenomenal. The food, the traditions, the daily customs, and the simple slow pace of live are all nice. The culture is absolutely amazing and it has definitely left a great impression on me.

One aspect of the culture that I appreciate the most is the gastronomy in Spain. The food industry in Spain is completely different from the United States and is innovative in many ways. I had no clue that food could be preserved and prepared in a manner that could make it taste so good! For example, when our group took an excursion to the ham factory, I realized that all the steps involved in the preparation of various meats are crucial to the quality and taste of the meat. One defining moment of that excursion was when we asked the guide about the molding of the meat. Prior to this, I did not know that the mold on the meat is actually a good thing because it indicates that there are still living organisms present, which means that the taste will be much better. Along with this, I did not know that meat could be cured for so long and still be edible. In fact, the best meats are cured for several years and the taste is absolutely great! Although the cost may be a little steep, the taste definitely counters any expenses!

Next, the entire tapa lifestyle in Spain is probably the best thing to happen to mankind! After the initial visit to Don Cochinillo, my friends and I began to try tapas at several restaurants across the city. Quite frankly, tapas could be one of the best deals ever! Getting a drink and tapa for only a few Euros is excellent. My favorite tapa restaurant is Don Cochinillo because I'm in love with the hamburgers there. The salsa that they put on the bun makes the burger delicious, and on many occasions I end up purchasing more than one tapa! (Can't resist the great taste!). Given this, I was inspired to do my final project on tapas and the role that they play in Spain, with a focus on Salamanca.

Lastly, I cant forget the desserts in Spain! I have tried and enjoyed many desserts in Spain that are very good. My favorite dessert is Flan because I like the savory flavor and distinct taste. I'm also a huge fan of Valor chocolate. This chocolate is similar to Hershey's in the States, but is much cheaper! Yesterday in class we sampled light and dark chocolate from Valor and it was the best! I'm definitely going to buy a bar before I leave on Saturday.

The food culture in Spain is indifferent from anywhere else in the world. Spain is the originator of some of the greatest recipes and is also home of many world renown restaurants. I love the food here and I want to cook the dishes that I learned about at home. Our culture class has enabled me to learn several things about Spanish food that I had no knowledge of before. I definitely took away many valuable things from each excursion, while enjoying them simultaneously. Thanks for a great culture class!





1 comment:

  1. Eric, you have embraced what is, in my humble opinion, the most attractive aspect of Spanish (or any) culture: its food. What a wonderful way to learn about a people, it's traditions and customs. You spent time with locals watching their team win the greatest championship in the world, in the kitchen with your señora cooking and out in all the different places you visited trying the local specialities.

    Your willingness to explore and push your boundaries has provided you with a summer of unforgettable memories and it has been incredible to share some of them with you. I hope you continue to do all of this upon returning to the U.S. and be sure to cook some of those dishes you learned about for the folks back home.

    ReplyDelete